One Week Without Coffee...

Day Seven: The coffee pot looms before me. Empty for seven days. The Espresso machine looks forlorn and is collecting dust. My head is busting and, somehow, all of this is supposed to be GOOD for me????


Coffee. I don't miss it too badly. Except when I smell it or see a Starbucks! Oh, the Pumpkin Spice latte....oh, but I need to stop thinking about that. Ha! I am still drinking black tea in the AM so I am getting some caffeine. I hope to taper that off next week. I just want to know what it is like to have caffeine completely out of my system....hmmm.

And the longer I go without sugar the less tempting things appear. I am eating dark chocolate ever day, a fine piece of dark chocolate so I am not in total deprivation.

Poor Greg, who I think we all agree does not need to lose weight, has been eating what I have been eating. I do add carbs to his plate. He needs them. And he told me he would eat anything except cauliflower mashed potatoes. He never has gotten over that one.

Even my friend Heather was adventurous enough to come over and try the Cider Chicken and Spaghetti Squash. Which, as I had to explain to Heather, the squash is called spaghetti squash because when you pull it apart it looks like spaghetti. And some people eat it with tomato sauce instead of regular pasta. We were not having spaghetti (the pasta) and squash together. I don't know if she was disappointed that spaghetti was not on the menu, but she ate the squash anyway.

The Headaches!!!! I have had a dull headache, sometimes not so dull, for three days. I think this is more from sugar withdrawal than caffeine, since I am still drinking things with caffeine in them. So, I have tried to alter the diet a little bit to make it a little more pleasing on my head. I would rather go at this slowly and be able to function than feel like crap. Apparently, once all the "bad stuff" is out of your system you are supposed to feel great. I am not there yet.

I can say this. My moods are much more even keeled without sugar and coffee. I don't know what it is but I just feel more pleasant than usual. Except when I am driving in Nashville traffic, but don't we all lose it with idiots, I mean, people, on the road??? Besides in the car I am much more pleasant to other people. So everyone benefits, right?

And I am losing weight and inches. Woo hoo...it seems to be quite dropping off of me. And I am very EXCITED about that. It makes not having sugar or coffee much more bearable.

Tonight I am splurging and we are going to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We will be sharing the 6 carb cheesecake for dessert. It is actually quite good. Then, I will hit the elliptical machine at the Y tomorrow. It all works out.

Now all I have to do is live another day without my coffee. Sigh. At least 7 more to go without it, but maybe longer. We shall see.

No comments: